Academic – growing independence
In the Sixth Form, each pupil is assigned a personal Academic Tutor who they meet with individually to support and develop their academic and personal wellbeing. The tutor will oversee each pupil’s learning journey, and will offer advice regarding higher education and encouragement on broadening their studies. Enjoying much greater levels of independence, girls in Sixth Form take more responsibility for their own learning, study habits and time-planning in the knowledge that their Tutor and teachers, as well as the higher education team, are there for support and guidance.
Beyond the classroom, Sixth Form girls benefit from an outstanding academic enrichment programme, expert advice on higher education and careers as well as encouragement to engage in super-curricular activities beyond school to differentiate them from others. They are also actively encouraged to pursue roles of responsibility and leadership throughout the school, contribute their own events, activities and ideas to school life and mentor younger pupils.
A Breadth of Opportunities
In the Sixth Form, girls will be offered and encouraged to make the most of all of the new opportunities open to them as they prepare for life beyond Downe House Muscat.
- Peer Mentoring – Sixth Form girls can sign up to mentor younger pupils and meet with them regularly
Global University Application Guidance – the Higher Education team will provide tailor-made guidance to each pupil to support them at every stage of the process
- CV Workshops – Girls have the opportunity to learn how to write a compelling CV
- Academic Enrichment Lectures – Regular lectures by external professional business professionals and university academics
- Interview Practice – every girl in the Sixth Form receives tailored, expert interview practice and advice
- Oxbridge Programme – Pupils in the Sixth Form interested in applying to Oxford or Cambridge are guided throughout the application process through our bespoke Oxbridge mentoring programme
- Higher Education Research Skills (HERS) – Every girl in the Lower Sixth takes this course which is an introduction to a variety of essential skills including: time management and organisation, research skills, referencing and bibliographies, critical thinking and analysis of arguments and evidence, presentation skills and report writing
- World Ready Programme – tailor-made opportunities to complete a Mini-MBA course, the Ivy House Award and achieve MS Office Specialist Certification
- DH LINKS – access to the global Downe House alumnae and parent network. This provides the pupils with careers-based knowledge, guidance and practical support from a network of more than 3,000 active members across the world